Unless you have been living under a rock, you have been exposed to vampire lore to some extent. So you know that besides sunlight, garlic is the other thing that vampires cannot stand. For better or for worse, being bitten by mosquitoes will be the closest you will ever come to meeting a real-life vampire. The good news is that mosquitoes are repelled by garlic as well!
No, eating more garlic will not reduce your chances of getting bitten by mosquitoes. However, you can make a garlic spray for mosquitoes to keep them away!
Table of Contents
What will you need to make your garlic spray for mosquitoes?
You will need the following to make your garlic spray for mosquitoes.
- A regular sized garlic.
- 1/2 cup of mineral oil.
- 1/2 of a regular sized lemon.
- Tap water.
How will you make your garlic spray for mosquitoes?
You can make your garlic spray for mosquitoes with the help of the following steps.
- Separate out the individual garlic cloves and then peel them.
- Mince them into small pieces. Make the pieces as fine as you possibly can.
- Immerse the minced garlic pieces in mineral oil. Let it sit for at least 24 hours.
- Run the mineral oil through a sieve. Squeeze the netting of the sieve to extract as much of the garlic essence as you possibly can.
You have now finished preparing the core ingredient for your garlic spray for mosquitoes. However, you cannot use this as is for a couple of reasons.
- The mixture is too sticky for it to be used as a spray.
- The smell of garlic is a little too strong. Not only will it keep the mosquitoes away, but will probably repel everyone else as well!
Hence, you need to dilute the mixture so that it can be applied as a spray. You also need to make it smell a bit more pleasant. To do so, you need to dilute it with tap water and lemon juice. The ideal proportion is two cups of water and one teaspoon of fresh squeezed lemon juice for every teaspoon of the garlic and mineral oil extract.
Pour the mixture into a spray bottle and shake thoroughly. That is it! Your garlic spray for mosquitoes is now ready to use!
Did you try our garlic spray for mosquitoes? How well did it work out for you? Let us know in the comments below!